VINTAGE FILM NIGHT
FRIDAY 9 NOVEMBER, 7PM
WALPOLE BAY HOTEL, FIFTH AVENUE, CLIFTONVILLE
Back in 2010, the Friends of the Shell Grotto ran its first Vintage Film Night. After an eight-year break, we’re back with another rare chance to enjoy an evening of publicity films spanning the 20th Century, featuring Margate in a starring role, with supporting performances from Ramsgate and Canterbury.
Screened in the Walpole Bay’s beautiful Ballroom, the evening will feature the inimitable Nick Dermott as our compere, with an interval bar, and ice creams and popcorn available.
Our programme includes:
– Magical Margate, dating from around 1925, and very rarely seen on the big(ish) screen;
– At the Sign of the Ram and the Gate, a fictional tale of a Fleet Street journo sent to convalesce in Ramsgate in 1957;
– The Canterbury Tour, offering a glimpse of everyday life from the 1920s;
– Ramsgate: A Picture to Remember featuring dancing at Nero’s in 1972!
– A Date With the Sun, a 1960s Margate film narrated by the great Kenneth Horne;
– All Go Margate, from 1970, with Michael Aspel watching the wrestling at the Oval.
There will also be some surprise footage to enjoy and if a new treasure surfaces we’ll screen it. Therefore, the programme is subject to change.
All proceeds from the night will go to the Friends’ Roundel Project, which was launched on 2012 to replace areas of lost shell mosaic in the Grade 1 listed Grotto. So far, through sponsorship, fundraising and donations we have funded 32 roundels, which have made a huge impact on the space.
Tickets are £4.50 to Friends of the Shell Grotto, £5.50 for non-members, with a 25p booking fee. Pre-booking is essential here.